23 Sep 2009

Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau


Welp, we pretty much got all of our TTB paperwork in line. They ask us about everything from our environmental impact, water quality and sources, trash disposal methods, how we intend to protect our delicious beers from beer thieves and all sorts of stuff you wouldn’t think that the Tax & Trade Bureau would care about. Well, I guess in the event someone comes and steals our beer we wouldn’t have to pay taxes on it… and that would be a huge bummer for the IRS. This was probably my favorite piece of paperwork that we are submitting to them. I love Google Maps.

After this all we have left to deal with is the Department of Environmental Health. DEH!!! I am really hoping that dealing with them is easier than trying to navigate their website which consists of hundreds of broken links. Although, their Facebook page is pretty fun and informative. Watch out for West Nile Virus Mosquitos and Hantavirus Mice! Hantavirus AKA the “English Sweate” is something you probably do not want. Unless you are a certain Korean dictator looking for a good weaponizable virus. Then you might really like the stuff.

If you ever want to apply with the TTB you can find all the paperwork here or click on the items below:

1. The Brewer’s Notice – this tells the TTB you intend to become a brewery. You need to attach a diagram of the premise, a description of the security, a legal description of the brewery, and all your corporate by-laws and articles of incorporation, and your SS-4 Employer ID number.

2. Brewer’s Collateral Bond – a bond for $1,000 for the first 4,000 barrels of beer you produce. If you produce more than that you will need to obtain a strengthening bond.

3. Personnel Questionnaire – includes everything you’ve ever done ever, as well as how much you plan on spending to open the brewery.

4. Water Quality Considerations – you need to tell them if you are going to be poisoning any rivers near by.

5. Environmental Information – you need to let them know how much polution you plan on generating, hopefully zero.

6. Signing Authority – only in the even you are a corporation or LLC.

7. Pay.gov User Agreement – whereby you agree to use their website to pay taxes on the beer ($7.00 per barrel, which is really what all this paperwork comes down to in the end.)

3 Responses to Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau
  1. Nice, gotta love paper work. In looking at the picture, you are about 1 block from Alesmith and Miramar Speed Circuit. My gym is about 1000 feet from your new brewery.

    When is the first tasting?

  2. We have yet to pin down the exact date. Once we are further along in the process we will be planning the first tasting. I’ll be sure to let you know when it is going to happen.

  3. Dang this is the confusing part for me so I thought you had to have your brewers notice before the CA alcohol license. What was a harder process the TTB or the ABC license? And I am still reading your blog but from starting the paperwork until when you could sell beer how long did it take?


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *